What's TravelSmart for Schools?
Travelsmart for Schools is a program that introduces students to the concepts of making smart travel choices using engaging materials and hands on activities.
TravelSmart helps students look at transportation challenges and opportunities around the school and create solutions. Through the program, students play an active role in promoting sustainable transportation options to their fellow classmates. Students playing an active role in promoting TravelSmart helps to make their school, community and region a more green, healthy, vibrant place to live.
Secondary students are particularly ready to make a difference. They have a vested interest in the future of their communities. The TravelSmart program helps provide students with the support and resources they need to get inspired about transportation, environmental and health issues of the region and tools to take action.
How can schools benefit from TravelSmart savvy students?
- Reduce traffic congestion around the school
- Become environmental stewards for their neighbourhood
- Help reduce air pollution
- Encourage a healthier lifestyle
- Make the school zone a safer place
What do students learn?
- Transportation problems and the range of solutions
- Transportation mode options
- Health and safety issues related to transportation
- Public speaking
- Event planning
- Critical thinking
- Environmental stewardship
- Team dynamics
- Social marketing
What makes this program appealing?
- Students figure out what the transportation problem around their school really is and come up with a campaign to change it.
- Students become advocates and have a real voice in the community
- TravelSmart facilitators support, coach and provide expert advice to the student groups.
- When campaigns are finished, students get to show the world what they did. They show their results to their peers, other schools and their community. They are recognized for their work and have the opportunity to see the real impact of their influence.
- Students learn from the best. Whether they listen to a guest speaker or connect with other organizations, they build their environmental network. Students build on leadership skills and networks to exchange knowledge and skills.
What does the program include?
- Workshops about transportation issues and solutions
- Advice on how to design and launch a transportation campaign
- On-going teacher support
- Links and contacts with experts in the field who can help you
- Resource materials
If you’re interested in learning more about how your school can be involved with TravelSmart, please email Paul Cheng at Paul.Cheng@translink.ca.