How Can Your Company be TravelSmart?
Becoming a TravelSmart Business means different things to different companies. For some, it's focused on results that reduce their corporate carbon footprint. For others, it's about enhancing employee benefits and/or reducing costs on parking. Whatever your motivation, it's good to become TravelSmart! Contact us to make an appointment and we'll be happy to come on-site to evaluate and discuss transportation options for your business.
One-third of all trips to work in Metro Vancouver are less than five km
In the meantime, here are some TravelSmart ideas to consider:
- Encourage and support the use of public transit
- Sign up for the Employer Pass Program that offers about a 15% discount to employees if you have a minimum of 25 people who'll commit for at least one year.
- Subsidize public transit fares or make transit tickets available to staff.
- Offer a Guaranteed Ride Home.
- Encourage and support ride-sharing
- Use the ride-share.com website to encourage employees to find carpools and vanpools.
- Start your own corporate ride-share site for company-specific ride matches.
- Provide incentives for employees who ride-share, like preferred parking spaces.
- Offer preferential parking for ride-share groups.
- Participate in Ride-Share Week in October.
- Encourage and support cycling
- Provide secure bicycle parking facilities.
- Offer a cycling skills training course.
- o Participate in Bike to Work Week (May & November).
- Help employees find cycling routes.
- Provide changing areas, showers and lockers.
- Form a Bicycle User Group.
- Encourage and support various work day options
- Enable staff to telework 1-5 days a week for select employees / specific projects.
- Modify work hours so employees can avoid peak traffic times.
- Consider shifting days of week or using a condensed work week so employees don't need to come in every day from Monday to Friday.
- Provide flex-time so employees can better integrate life-work commitments.
Help other Metro Vancouver businesses build a TravelSmart plan that works for their needs. If you're already a TravelSmart company, submit a comment below to tell others about your policies, practices, benefits and experiences for you and your staff.